Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 7--on the road...

We are sitting in a McDonald's in Ouistreham, Normandy, France--of all places. It's a rainy day as we approach the Normandy beaches, and we were delighted to see McDonald's because we were in search of "toilettes." When we got in here out of the rain, we discovered that McDonald's has free internet connection, so we ordered some drinks and eventually a filet o' fish to share and Robin ran out to the car and got his little computer and we set up shop.

Yesterday we enjoyed the wonderful cathedral in Rouen. My friend Toni Bennett (at work) raved about it so much that we added it to our itinerary. It was breathtaking inside that huge structure that was originally built in the 13th Century and bombed during World War II; however, the stained glass windows were removed before the bombing and preserved. I felt so safe in there.

On our way to the car we spoke to another couple in the underground parking deck. In fact, they asked if we spoke English. We talked for about 15 minutes--the first totally English conversation we've had in 7 days, and it was wonderful. They were from Rochester, NY, and they know of my friend from childhood who plays in the Rochester Philharmonic.

After somewhat of an adventure getting around in the traffic and going around and around in traffic circles yesterday, we visited probably the most unique little village I've ever seen--Honfleur, France. The architecture was medieval and the streets were cobblestone. It was lovely. We spent last night in Caen and are on our way to Mont St. Michel. If you don't know Mont St. Michel, you should google it because it is a site to behold on the internet. I can't wait to see it for real.

4 comments:

Pattie said...

I did take a look at Mont St. Michel. Lauren said it reminds her of Gondor, from Lord of the Rings! I have to agree. I cannot wait to see pictures and hear all about it!

Pattie said...

Or Hogwarts, from Harry Potter...

Mark Pinchbeck said...

What a wonderful trip. This takes me back to the time I went to Europe, an experience well worth it. I would go again. Enjoy every moment, it can seem to fly by so quickly. Take lots and lots and lots of pictures. I'm following along your trek through France using Google Earth.
Take care and Robin, you might want to keep your wallet in your front pocket in the larger cities like Paris.

susan said...

I love this high-tech spy glass: the Blog. I feel like I'm on the journey with you guys. I loved the descriptions, Joyce. I could see that little coblle-stoned town in my mind. I am here in a mild hurricane making that homey meatloaf recipe you gave me. So it's fun to follow you on this trek on the other side of the atlantic.